National Car Rental is launching a FourSquare page so when customers rent cars in Austin, they can have a quick summary of the city’s best stops. Nailing the list down to ten wasn’t easy but these ten spots will definitely give visitors a taste of Austin, Texas.
1. Ester’s Follies – Ester’s Follies puts on a comedy show like no other. They push the limits when it comes to comedy covering everything from current events to members of the audience. The props, location and cast make it is a one-of-a-kind performance that you will never forget.
2. Barton Springs Pool – Barton Springs Pool is one of Austin’s favorite swimming holes. This spring fed swimming hole is a favorite hangout for locals of all ages. The pool stays at a constant 68 degrees year round. Don’t be surprised if you see a topless sun bather.
3. Franklin Barbecue – You cannot come to Austin and not have BBQ. That would be a disservice to Texas. Franklin BBQ has become an Austin legend. Be forewarned that there is always a line but it is well worth the wait. Bon Appetit named them Best BBQ in America last year, try them and you’ll understand.
4. Mount Bonnell – Climbing the 102 steps to the top of Mount Bonnell leads to the one of the best look out points in Austin. At the top you can get a 360 view of Austin and the Texas Hill Country. Get ready to feast your eyes on the downtown, Lake Austin, 360 Bridge. The view is always spectacular but sunsets here are really incredible.
5. Alamo Drafthouse – Alamo Drafthouse took movie watching to a new level. Not only have they mastered the concept of dinner, drinks and a movie they also have tons of fun interactive events including sing-alongs, quote-alongs and the famous Master Pancake.
6. Oasis at Sunset – The Oasis has been a longtime favorite for casual dining. They have a American menu where you can find a little bit of everything. However, one does not go to the Oasis for the food, they go for the view and the sunset. Each year they even have their own “sunset photo contest.” Something about having dinner and watching the sun go down over Lake Travis helps you value the simple things in life.
7. Driskill Grill – This iconic Austin restaurant located in the heart of downtown Austin is five star dining at its best. The historic significance paired with outstanding service and a food makes it worth every penny.
8. Hula Hut – Located on the Lake Austin this casual dining spot boasts some of the best frozen margaritas in town! This island themed Tex-Mex joint is a favorite spot for both locals and out-of-towners.
9. Bangers – Bangers is a Beer Garden that recently opened up on Austin’s Famous Rainey Street. They have 103 beers of tap, the most in Austin plus house-made sausage that is out of this world. They have plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and a stage for live music. Bangers captures the exact essence of Rainey Street and is the perfect stop for a casual beer.
10. Congress Street Bridge Bat Watching – The Congress Street bridge is the summer home to over a million Mexican free-tailed bats. During the peak season (mid March-early November) at sundown they fly out from under the bridge and into the night. It truly is mother nature at its best.