Today is ‘National Drink Wine Day’ and if there’s one holiday that I’ve earned the right to celebrate it’s today’s. I like everything about wine. I like it cheap, I like it expensive, I like tasting, pairing, and learning about it; I like playing games focused on it, I like hanging out with my friends while drinking it, and as long as wine is involved, you can count me in for just about any activity. As a matter of fact, I’m actually having a glass whilst writing this post.
That being said, I’m very excited about a day dedicated to one of my favorite beverages. Here’s a list of my favorite places to get a glass (or bottle) in Austin.
1. Vino Vino– I go to Vino Vino for the extensive wine selection and the atmosphere. There’s literally a wall of wine, so the selections are seemingly endless. Their food menu is also well executed. It’s a place I find myself when I’m not running out to happy hour in workout clothes, as the atmosphere is a little more sophisticated.
2. Apothecary– I like this place because everything here is consistently solid. Their happy hour is great- on Sundays and Mondays they offer $10 off all bottles, and on Saturdays, it’s half off all bottles of sparking wine. They have an excellent cheese plate, and many of their menu items are perfect for sharing. They also have a quaint little patio that’s perfect when the weather is nice.
3. Trio– Their happy hour is also fantastic, its daily from 5-7pm, and they offer $5 off appetizers from the bar menu and half-off glasses of wine. You really can’t beat it. And of course, as you would expect from the Four Seasons, the service is always five stars.
4. Botticelli’s– Their back patio feels like a hidden gem. You could easily be at a wine bar in Italy, it’s that welcoming and cozy. It’s a great place to go for hanging out, drinking wine and snacking. They have happy hour Daily from 5-7pm, and all night on Sunday and Monday.
5. Antonelli’s Cheese Class – This stop takes planning as you need to sign up for the class in advance. However, out of all the things I’ve done in Austin, it’s one of my favorites. You can choose to purchase the wine that they suggest for the cheese pairing, or for a $4 corking fee you can bring your own selections. One of these classes is a must do for any cheese (and wine) lover!
6. Barley Swine – To be fair, Barley Swine is also one of my favorite restaurants in Austin. I love going here and ordering a bunch of small plates and enjoying their menu over bottles of wine and good company.
7. Opa! – The extensive outdoor seating and the causal atmosphere keeps me coming back. They are family owned, and I always feel as if I’m hanging out of my Italian aunt’s patio (if I had an Italian aunt) while I ‘m there.
Here are other places around town that are also great for grabbing a glass.
- Uncorked Tasting Room & Wine Bar
- Wine Belly
- Fabi & Rossi
- House Wine
- Lakeview Winery
- Max’s Wine Dive
- Henri’s Cheese & Wine
- The Grove
- Winflo Osteria
- Snack Bar
- Cork & Co.
- Fino Restaurant Patio & Bar
- Cru Wine Bar
- 360 Uno Trattoria
- Wink Restaurant
- Water 2 Wine
- Zax Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Malaga Tapas & Bar
- L’Estelle House