Come on down to the Long Center this evening for the final Sound & Cinema of the summer! Tonight they are showing Tommy Boy featuring live music from The Midnight Stroll (Aaron Behrens of Ghostland Observatory). Thousands of Austinites will be flocking to the lawn to watch this hilarious comedy on a giant inflatable screen with the gorgeous city skyline in the background.
When: Tonight, August 24th
Times: Doors @ 6 p.m. | Music @ 7:30 p.m. | Movie @ Nightfall (around 9:00 p.m.)
Attendance: Free and open to the public
701 W Riverside Dr.
Austin, Texas 78704
In addition to music and movies this summer series features a selection of Austin’s best food trucks, including Whole Foods, The Peached Tortilla, Frank, Garbo’s, Slab BBQ, Yeti Frozen Custard, and Uncle Louie G’s. There will also be full bar service on the terrace, offering a variety of cocktails, craft beers, and non-alcoholic drinks.
Photo Credit: The Long Center
This rain has been really hard on the Animal Center. They are in need of donations and fosters. Foster commitments range from a few days to several weeks. If you can’t foster or volunteer, they are always in need of donations. Here is a list of items that you can donate. It is really easy to swing by and drop off donations in the large bin they have out front.
There are other great ways to get involved, here are a few examples:
- Concierge/ Customer Service – engaging visitors with the animals, explaining the process for adopting or reclaiming a pet, answering questions, matching potential adopters with pets that may be a good fit for their household
- Dog Wellness (large and small dog breeds) – training the dogs to have good manners, taking them on walks, and reinforcing house training skills
- Cat Socialization – socializing and comforting the cats, observing for character traits
- Cat Nebulization – treating kitties sick with upper respiratory infections
- Anesthetic Recovery – monitoring animals pre- and post-surgery
- Outreach Volunteer – participating with activities in the community about responsible pet ownership
- Photography – updating our website photos with dog and cat glamour shots
Volunteers are needed daily between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
For more information on how to get involved click here.
If you are in the market for a new furry friend, check out these Pets of the Week still looking for a forever home!
We can’t all be Michael Phelps, or Simone Biles, or Katie Ledecky. But hey, you can feel a little solid gold yourself by celebrating the Rio Olympics with Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa.
Their “Golf’s Return to Rio” special includes a $200 savings on the Unlimited Golf package in August and daily breakfast. Wind down after a round of golf and watch the Olympics at Bartons Lounge, the perfect place to enjoy the latest cocktails, locally brewed beers and extensive wine offerings. Check out one or all their championship courses:
- Fazio Foothills – Designed by course architect Tom Fazio, this cliff-lined course in the Texas Hill Country is a shot-maker’s paradise, complete with TIFSport Bermuda fairways and TiffEagle Bermuda greens for a variety of skill levels.
- Fazio Canyons – At 7,153-yards, this par-72 course is lined with majestic Red Oaks and Sycamore trees, featuring views of the hill country, complete with a limestone bed creek that meanders throughout the course.
- Coore Crenshaw – A championship layout with a variety of interesting holes, this course incorporates durable grasses, rolling fairways and varied green sizes to challenge all levels of golfers.
- Palmer Lakeside – Perched on a secluded hilltop overlooking Lake Travis, Palmer Lakeside is a hidden retreat that rewards guests with striking, panoramic lake views and twilight glimpses of whitetail deer.
In addition, the resort’s Three Springs Spa is can help you “glow for the gold” with its new 16 Days of Glory spa treatments starting for as low as $35 a person. Go for the bronze, silver, or gold and leave feeling like the best version of yourself.
25-Minute Bronze Service
$35/each: Neck & Shoulder Massage, Express Facial, or Express Pedicure
50-Minute Silver Service
$75/each: Deep Tissue Massage or Purity Facial
80-Minute Gold Service
$100/each: Deep Tissue Massage or Purity Facial
Austin is often heralded as a place where it’s easy to maintain a well-balanced lifestyle. There are citywide opportunities for indulging, festing, finding our zen, or even finding your brand. You can run the trails around Town Lake and blaze trails in your career! But even Austinites need a respite from the inevitable strains of life, like constant communication, mounting stress, and demanding schedules.
So listen up, all you overworked entrepreneurs, you hustling-and-bustling and carpooling parents, and anyone out there who is simply in need of a little getaway: I’ve found a 19-acre waterfront remedy for all of life’s craziness. Say hello to Lake Austin Spa.
Among their many accolades, Lake Austin Spa was recognized in Travel + Leisure magazine’s 2016 World’s Best Awards as a Top 10 Destination Spa in the U.S. And this “destination spa”, fellow Austinites, is a whopping 40 minutes from downtown.
So if you take one bit of advice from me in this year’s 365 things to do, let it be this: Relax, rejuvenate, and recharge at Lake Austin Spa. (Fear not, internet addicts. You don’t have to go totally off the grid. They have perfectly functioning Wifi.) If you can’t commit to a heavenly overnight experience, wet your appetite with a “daycation” at this little slice of heaven in the Hill Country. Here are just a few reasons you should go.
- The Design – From magazine photo worthy interior design to top-notch service, it is the most welcoming environment you could imagine—luxurious retreat meets rustic lake house. You almost feel as if you’re staying at a friend’s (really nice) place. It’s homey, cozy, and relaxing. There’s nothing hoity-toity about it.
- *The Cabanas – They have 40 cabanas (some lakefront and others overlooking the garden) so even at capacity, there is a max of 72 guests. Let’s talk specifics of the rooms. Easily one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The pillows + mattress + comforter combo make you want to spend all day in bed. Hey, to each his own when it comes to how you want to spend your vacation! Their rooms feature their in-house line of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and body wash – all a divinely lavender concoction that make you want to spend all day in the shower.
- Pool Barn – There has never been a barn that I have loved more. Their pool barn is in a class of its own. The picture says it all. Perfect for swimming laps or avoiding the Texas sun.
- The Blue Room – There is definitely no feeling blue in this room. After wrapping yourself up in a signature spa robe, you will be directed to this room to spend a little time sipping flavored water or herbal tea before and after your treatments. After taking in the elegance of this space, perfectly decorated in all shades of blue, you are guaranteed to achieve new levels tranquility.
- Friendship Table –Are you solo on this staycation? No problem. They have a “friendship table” in their dining areas where those who want to be social and meet new people can dine. It’s a special touch that warmed my heart.
- *Lake Swimming- This was perhaps one of my favorite experiences while at the spa. In the afternoon of our second full day, after we had entirely enjoyed the spa’s many pools, we grabbed our most faithful companion (a bottle of champagne), a couple of floats and took to the lake for a change of scenery. We were happily sipping while submerged. It was a real highlight and pure bliss.
- *Yogurt Button- There is a button overnight guests may press anytime to receive immediate frozen yogurt. They offer two flavors daily, and while the button is reserved for overnight guests, day visitors are still eligible for yogurt-on-demand; they just have to order it the old-fashioned way… by voicing their request to a staff member.
- *Garden Room- As I mentioned before, the interior design is superb. This particular room is cozy, quaint, and the absolute perfect place to enjoy your morning coffee with a good book.
- Outdoor Showers- After enjoying one (or more) of the hundreds of spa treatments to choose from, all guests are welcome to enjoy all of the amenities of the 25,000-square-foot spa. That list of amenities, just to name a few, includes a hot tub, steam room, and a glorious offering that should not be overlooked: the outdoor showers.
- Cabana Style Pool- This is the resort style pool that is situated at the spa, but from now on, I’m going to call it a lagoon. The vegetation around this lagoon is intoxicating to the senses. There are plenty of cabanas and day beds to lounge around on in the lagoon. The lagoon offers areas of sun and areas of shade. You can eat and drink at the lagoon. You can meander back and forth from the lagoon’s crisply cool pool or steamy hot tub. This lagoon will have you feeling very far away from Austin.
- *Garden-There is a beautiful garden to stroll through where you can get herbs to add to your tea or drinking water. You can even pick fresh flowers for your room if you so desire!
- *Boat Ride- One of the daily activities you can participate in is a boat ride. Lasting about an hour, we cruised the lake, took in the sights, and stopped for a dip in the water to cool off. Highly recommend it!
- *Classes- They offer countless classes for all interests and skill levels. I’m talking anything from Bollywood dancing to hoola hooping, from boot camp to guided meditation, from cooking classes to card making. They have truly thought of it all when it comes to spa activities.
- The Service- From the moment we arrived, the service was a ten. After spending a few days there, you start to see the same faces. There is something to be said for the familiarity of knowing and being known. In no time at all, we were on a first name basis with the staff who excelled in accommodating our every need. Prepare yourself for some serious pampering.
- *The Lake Pool- It’s a pool on the shore of Lake Austin. In any direction you look, you will be met with the lake and all of its lush, green surroundings or the meticulously cared for grounds of the resort or the smile of a friendly worker who will happily pour you and your fellow staycationer(s) another bottle of champagne.
- *Activities/Workout Room- This is your staycation so you can participate in as many or as little activities as your schedule or desire allows. They do have a beautiful workout room overlooking the lake, though. So if you want to take some time on the treadmill, it will be a session with one seriously gorgeous view. Our workout of choice? We took to the hydro bikes and peddled up and down the lake! Stand up paddle boards are also readily available for another on lake activity.
- Science- If I haven’t said enough to convince you to find time to experience Lake Austin Spa for yourself, don’t trust me. Trust science. Research has shown that simply standing next to a moving body of water has real health benefits. The movement creates negative ions in the air, which our body absorbs and those negative ions help alleviate depression, anxiety and create a sense of euphoria. And in case you didn’t know, Lake Austin is an extension of the Texas Colorado River, a moving body of water. So even laying on one of their hammocks by the lake shore will do the trick in giving you the mood boost that you need!
The * designates event items that are exclusive to overnight guests.
Lake Austin Spa
1705 S Quinlan Park Road
Austin, Texas 78732
Bakery meets bar at this new spot
located in Mueller. This truly is a place where dreams are made!
Imagine a display of decant desserts: brownies, cookies, pastries, cookies—the works. But then there is a full bar! And not just beer and wine, cocktails too.
The decor is a complete 10, and it was the little things that made go awww, from the ‘Eat Dessert First’ sign to the sprinkle shakers on every table.
This is the perfect destination for a girls night, birthday snacks, or a treat-yourself evening.
Closed on Mondays.
1900 Simond Ave #300,
Austin, TX 78723
Sex: Neutered Male
Breed: German Shepherd Mix
Age: 2 Year Old
Animal ID: A731878
Location: Kennel 2 at Town Lake Animal Center
Baron is one of our exceptional pups at TLAC! You can find him in the front corner kennel, #2 😊 Nothing seems to bother this happy, go lucky dog. Baron has beautiful markings and his medium energy level would be perfect for most homes and families. He’s always full of love and kisses! The little white spot on the tip of his tail has our hearts melting. Someone scoop this cutie up!
If this is not the Pet of the Week for you try one of our previous featured pets!
If you live in Austin, you know that bats are big. Well not literally big, they’re actually pretty small, but their nightly journey to find insects is a spectacle that draws huge crowds of tourists and locals alike. Every night at dusk from early March to November, more than 1.5 million bats fly out from underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge, home of the largest urban bat colony in the world. It’s an amazing scene and an absolutely essential Austin activity.
While most people just grab a spot on the bridge, there’s actually an even better way to watch the bats. We’ve partnered with Austin Tour Company and Capital Cruises to bring you Bat Tuesday, a party cruise on Town Lake (or Lady Bird Lake as it’s now known). Enjoy great music, snacks, and cocktails aboard a fabulous boat with air conditioning, bathrooms, and a gorgeous roof deck. We’ll pause near the bridge (and turn the music down) at sunset to watch the bats!
Here are the details …
- Boarding starts at 7:00 p.m. We’ll cruise from 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- July 19th we’ll have light bites from Pollo Tropical
- Complimentary margaritas and a tequila tasting from Dolce Vida Tequila.
- If delicious cockatils ain’t your thing, the boat is also BYOB!
- All this for $28 (plus fees) per person
Space is limited so snag your reservation here.
Cards Against Humanity is a depraved and disgusting party game—but that’s what makes it so much fun! Get your friends together and head down to the Highball for a hilarious night out. The game is simple: Each round, one player asks a question from a black card, and everyone else answers with their funniest white card.
The winner of each game of CAH at their particular table wins a pass to the Alamo Drafthouse! But if you want to win the grand prize, take pictures of your best (and worst) combinations and tweet them to @highballaustin during the game. The best combos picked by the host will win!
When: Tonight, August 9th
Time: 9:00 p.m.
*21 and up!
1120 South Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX 78704
Wanderlust Yoga wants to help get your week off to an incredible start. Tonight, as part of their 2nd Annual Summer at the Springs
series, you can commune with nature and enjoy a free vinyasa class. Free snacks and a free swim at the springs will follow at 9:00 p.m. If you had a little too much fun over the weekend, this will make you feel brand new.
When: Every Monday through August 29th
Time: 7:30 p.m.
2201 Barton Springs Rd.
Austin, TX 78704
This is a quintessentially Austin thing to do and an amazing way to kick off your work week. Namaste! Whole Foods will be offering Yoga on the terrace Monday and Wednesday and fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in August and September!
Advice: Get there early to snag a spot!
What to Bring: Water and a mat
When: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays in August & September
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Whole Foods Downtown
524 North Lamar Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78701
123...299Next Page 1 of 299