There are many ways you can help fight the spread of HIV/AIDS. You can give money to organizations. You may donate your time to volunteer. You can help to spread the word about prevention. However, April 25th the ASA (Aids Services of Austin)- in conjunction with the international event organization Dining Out for Life– is making it easy for you. Simply visit one of your favorite local restaurants and chow down.
The annual Austin fundraiser celebrates its 25th year for 2017. With over 60 local eateries participating, a generous percentage of the day’s receipts go directly to AIDS Services of Austin, helping them continue their noble effort combating AIDS and assisting those affected.
The Dining out for Life Association has been holding events in many locations since 1991. A growing and successful venture- they raise $4 million annually-Dining Out for Life’s mission is to provide resources to local organizations in order to “fund care, prevention, education, testing, counseling and other essential HIV/AIDs services.” The ASA’s goal is “to enhance the health and well-being of the community and people affected by HIV and AIDS.”
ASA Executive Director Paul Scott is optimistic regarding this year’s event. “We are thrilled to celebrate 25 years of giving back to the HIV and AIDS community with the return of Dining Out for Life,” he said. “We are so grateful to our new and returning restaurant partners and encourage all to dine out in support of this great cause.”
Last year’s event raised over $40,000. But with a new Travis County AIDS diagnosis occurring every 35 hours on average, the need for financial support is constant. So help spread the word, pitch in to help someone in need, and fill your belly with some delicious local cuisine.
Participants are welcome to share their dining experience online with the hashtag #DineOutATX.
A list of participating restaurants can be found at www.diningforlife.org
Lick Honest Ice Creams is celebrating the opening of their fourth location at Mueller in the best way possible: free ice cream for everyone! Get your one free scoop from 7 to 10 p.m. this evening. The new store is directly across from Thinkery, and it will neighbor recently opened J.T. Youngblood’s, B.D. Riley’s Irish Pub, Halcyon Coffee + Bar + Lounge, Colleen’s Kitchen, and Stella Public House.
Now you have something to look forward to all day. What’s better than a free scoop?
All proceeds from the shop’s opening day will benefit Urban Roots!
When: Today, April 19
Time: 7-10 p.m.
1905 Aldrich Street, Suite 150
Austin, TX 78723
Ever wanted to bike the Circuit of the Americas track? Now you can.
Circuit of the Americas
9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78617
Here’s the rundown (information courtesy of TheRideGroup):
- Directions & Parking:
After turning off 812 on to COTA Blvd, head to Tunnel 2 on the right. There should be directional signage out leading you to Bike Parking.
- You will not be allowed to enter until 5:00PM so if you get there early, you will be asked to wait on COTA Blvd until 5:00PM.
- After you enter Tunnel 2, follow the road to the right and the parking signage.
- After you park, find your way to the Paddock and Building U.
- Remember to leave all outside food in your car. You can bring water bottles and nutrition that fits in your bike jersey pocket.
- The Registration/Check-In Tent will be located outside near Building U.
- EVERYONE will need to come check-in and get a WRISTBAND.
- You can register day of at this tent for $20. We will accept cash and credit cards.
- You can start riding anytime between 6:00PM and 8:30PM. And you can come and go as many times as you want throughout the night!
- A helmet, bike and wristband is required to enter the track.
- Slower riders need to stay to the right.
- Anyone under 18 must have an adult present on the track with them.
Bike repair & rentals:
- Velofix Austin will be on site with their mobile bike shop for any last minute bike adjustments. Talk to Hunter about any other repairs that you may need, he can come to your home or office and you book your service online!
- Barton Springs Bike Rentals will have road bikes and hybrid bikes for rent for $20, helmet is included. 1st come, 1st serve!
Food & Beverages:
- There will be beer and food for sale at the COTA Cafe which will be near the Registration/Check-In tent.
- The Paddock area has plenty of seating under a shaded canopy and inside the cafe.
- The Restrooms are located in the COTA Cafe. No porta-pottys, woohoo!
- Please keep the parking area and Paddock area clean.
- If you purchased a season pass, you will automatically be registered for each week so no need to do anything.
- Online Pre-Reg for Week 2 Tuesday Nighter @ COTA will open at 10:00PM tonight!
It’s time to dust off your BeDazzler and bring your A game. Tonight, come celebrate the birthday of the woman who started it all, the Queen of Tejano music … Selena!
Join Bidi Bidi Banda and guests for a night you’ll never forget. Learn how to cumbia or simply show off your skills with Melissa Corpus of MeliSamba. Get your kicks with Austin’s Puro Pinche Party Band, Su Madre.
Plus win prizes in the Selena lookalike and dance contest!
When: Today, April 16th
4-6 p.m. – Bidi Bidi Banda
6-6:45 p.m. – Cumbia Lessons with Melissa Corpus
6:45-7 p.m. – Selena Lookalike/Dance Contest
7-7:45 p.m. – Su Madre
8-10 p.m. – Bidi Bidi Banda
1120 S Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX 78704
Cancel breakfast, cancel lunch—this is worth saving your calories for! Seriously, just look at that picture. Do we even need to write a post or have you already jumped in your car to grab one of these insane sweet creations? The Peached Tortilla’s gloriously over-the-top milkshakes are back for a very special pop-up with double the buzz at their sister event space, Peached Social House.
Pop-up attendees can expect two new soon-to-be-legendary milkshakes:
The “Saturday Morning” is a breakfast of champions made with strawberry milk ice cream, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and fresh baked doughnuts.
The “Movie Night” is an homage to all your favorite concession candies featuring chocolate popcorn ice cream, Milk Duds, Skittles, M&M’s, popcorn and more.
And if that’s not indulgent enough for you, anyone looking to add an adult-friendly twist to these sippable stunners can add a shot of vodka or Frangelico to either shake. Bloody Marys and The Peached Tortilla’s latest Instagrammable creation, the Birthday Cake Mimosa, will also be available.
Those seeking some savory sustenance can chow down on a selection of breakfast sandwiches served from The Peached Tortilla’s iconic truck. Kolache-dough buns will house two sandwich offerings—Fried Egg, Red Eye Mayo, Maple Bacon, Onion Jam and American Cheese, with the option to substitute tofu to make it vegetarian, and Kimchi Mozzarella, Marinated Flank Steak, Fried Egg and Kewpie Mayo. A sandwich with Cumin Pork Sausage, egg, pickled onion, Sriracha mayo and pepper jack cheese will be served on The Peached Tortilla’s housemade biscuit.
When: Today, April 15
Time: noon – 3 p.m.
6500 N Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX 78752
We’re always one to snoop around and see what’s happening around town (as you may already know judging by the fact that you’re reading this) and one of our favorite local names is Black Swan Yoga. With another new donation-based studio up on Anderson Lane, they’ve been doing it big in the community! The latest thing happening at Black Swan is the launch of BSY.tv. So of course we had to test it out…
What is it?
BSY.TV is designed to bring you the Black Swan Yoga class experience wherever you are. Whether you’re on vacation or just can’t make it into the studio, BSY.TV offers an array of classes that you can access wherever you have wifi, which is basically everywhere.
We’re big fans of the anywhere component. Black Swan Yoga at Barton Springs? Yes, please…
You can get your yoga fix just about anywhere. Phone, iPad, computer — they’re all compatible so just pick your class and turn up the volume. There are a variety of lengths and types of classes so you can meditate when you’re feeling anxious, do a full flow when you’re feeling ambitious or even learn a pose breakdown (for you brave souls who want to learn how to stand on your head).
BSY.TV offers unlimited access to all the teachers and all the videos for only $8 a month and you can try it for free for 8 days. Apparently our swan friends like the number 8 and we ain’t mad about it. It’s pretty cheap for a whole lotta yoga.
Why you should:
Black Swan Yoga is one of Austin’s favorite local businesses. By enrolling in BSY.TV you are directly supporting your favorite BSY instructors. http://bsy.tv
KGSR’s ‘Unplugged at The Grove’ is returning for its 24th season. Starting early April thru mid-September, people of all ages have the opportunity to experience Austin’s longest-running free live music series on Shady Grove’s beautiful pecan tree shaded patio.
Unplugged goers will enjoy the finest live music this city has to offer, as well as a signature patio menu of Austin-inspired home cooking and refreshing drink specials, including $4 16oz ZiegenBocks.
“At Shady Grove we are privileged and grateful to present one-of-a- kind live music performances every week, under the stars, in the coolest city on the planet,” says managing partner Rusty Zagst. “Our 24th season promises to be the best yet as our schedule includes everything from musical legends to some of the most exciting new artists on the scene. Don’t forget Unplugged is open to all and always free.”
Unplugged will be featuring exceptional local, regional, and national acts including artist Rhett Miller, Bob Schneider, Swimming With Bears, Bee Caves, and Eric Tessmer. #UnpluggedAtTheGrove
When: Thursdays – September 14th
1624 Barton Springs Road
Austin, Texas 78704
||CHARLIE MARS DUO
||SWIMMING WITH BEARS
||THE PETERSON BROTHERS
||SHANE SMITH & THE SAINTS
||NAKIA & THE BLUES GRIFTERS
Animal ID: A735044
Age: 7 year old
Breed: Pit Bull Mix
Sex: Spayed Female
Location: Kennel 321
Cupcake has spent some time in foster care, so we know great things about her! She is absolutely PERFECT in a home: Totally house-trained, not destructive, cuddly and low-key, silly and playful, and loves leisurely walks around the neighborhood. Loving, gentle and kind are some the ways we describe her. We’re becoming low on kennel space, so Cupcake is searching for another foster!! WHO WANTS TO FOSTER THIS ADORABLE DOG?
When you’re looking for a view without the ruckus, whip out this list.
We’ve been building rugged, yet lightweight gear on the East side of Austin for over 7 years. In other words, we know a thing or two about designing a mighty fine hammock. Hang with us, it’s about time.
Team approved, tried and true, kickass kickback spots to hang.
Hang forever, ATX.
Colorado Bend State Park
- A ways outside of Austin, this is the perfect weekend adventure.
- Grab some cinnamon rolls and catch golden hour with people you love.
- Disclaimer. It’s spring time. Bring a bugnet to keep the bugs at bay.
- Photo credit: @kylemeck
- 30°17’08.9″N 97°45’15.1″W
- Located alongside Shoal Creek Trail, Peace Park is home to local joggers and afternoon bikers. This park is a great central spot, just 5 minutes from downtown.
- Photo credit: @gregbalkin
Walnut Creek Park
- 30°24’03.5″N 97°41’09.0″W
- Dog owners: Walnut Creek Park features a fresh off-leash area for your pups to run rampant without worrying about who’s business they’re getting into.
- Multitude of hilly, meandering trails for mountain bikers.
- Plenty of trees to hammock. Take your pick, and relax!
- Photo credit: @muellers_dayoff
Town Lake Bridge
- 30.265464, -97.755892
- Snag a spot next to the hikers and joggers, you won’t be alone but we’ll guarantee you a beautiful view of the city.
- Photo credit: @gregbalkin
- 30°14’50.1″N 97°43’10.5″W
- Team Kammok’s Tom Sawyer getaway, Snake Island is littered with the perfect hammocking trees, and waterfront views of Lake Austin.
- Getting there is the fun part 😉
- Photo credit: @travperk_photo
- 30°19’17.1″N 97°46’22.3″W
- Not exactly an Austin secret, but you can get creative with your hammock placement. Snag a yogi and find your zen at golden hour.
- Photo credit: Kim Jones
St. Edwards Park
- 30°25’07.1″N 97°47’35.7″W
- This hidden park is perfect for trail runners, hikers and dog owners.
- Our favorite spot is a little off the beaten path: follow Bull Creek all the way West from St. Edwards park until it crosses to the other side of Spicewood Springs Rd. You’ll find gently flowing water, limestone for days, and a quiet spot to set up your hammock kit.
- Photo credit: @muellers_dayoff
- Gus Fruh Entrance: 30.249457, -97.795174
- Best for last. Also, some of the more popular spots. Pick a time of the week where you won’t run into the whole fraternity, and enjoy our personal favorite patch of ATX.
- Photo credit: @travperk_photo
- Our team’s favorite spots:
- Gus Fruh
- Lost Creek Falls
- Sculpture Falls
- Campbell’s Hole / The Flats
BONUS: Barton Springs…Almost.
- 30°15’51.3″N 97°46’06.1″W
- Don’t go to the paid side. We repeat, do not go to the paid side.
- Slightly north from the paid entrance of Barton Springs, there is refreshing water and beautiful trees to hang near. Grab a book, a local beer, and kick back here for the ultimate hang.
Don’t see your favorite spot on the list? Submit your favorite spot to hang here.
Based in the heart of East Austin, Kammok is an outdoor company focused on hammock camping. We design durable, lightweight gear to elevate every adventure. The Roo camping hammock is our flagship product, made from climbing-rated hardware with a lifetime warranty so you can hang forever.
Gear up for your next adventure at www.kammok.com, and get 10% off your first purchase when you sign up for our newsletter.
Happy National Grilled Cheese Day to us all! How do you celebrate? A grilled cheese sandwich hunt in the front yard? Singing cheese songs by the light of the traditional grilled cheese sandwich tree in your living room? Calling in sick to work? Well, if you haven’t made plans for this all-important national holiday, you best get yourself over to the new Burro Grilled Cheese Kitchen location on South Lamar. To celebrate their grand opening, they’ve made their beloved “The O.G.” just $2 all day!
When: Today, April 12th
Hours: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
1105 South Lamar Blvd – B
Prev1...234...320Next Page 3 of 320