Kick start your weekends at WET Deck with live beats by DJ Kurupt & Buck Rogers while staying hydrated with exclusive summertime cocktails. Tickets are $10 for non-guests and are complimentary for guests of W Austin. Cash is not accepted at the door.
With patio weather in full force, Craftsman is encouraging guests to get outside and grill, chill and drink beer for a great cause. Head to the East Austin bungalow bar on Saturday, April 14th from 2pm-4pm for a patio party featuring $7 beer, burger and chip combos with $1 from every combo purchased donated directly to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
I personally love all the F1 madness- free shows, free booze and if you know the right people, free entry into parties that people from around the world are spending tens of thousands of dollars to get into. That being said, I get that it’s not for everyone.
If you’re one of the many folks who miss ‘Old Austin,’ taking a trip to The Moontower Saloon (away from the downtown chaos) can be refreshing. Located on Manchaca Road just South of Slaughter Lane, Moontower regulars have named this bar and the beautiful outdoor venue surrounding it Awesome, Texas.
It’s hard to believe they’ve done so much with this place in just a year. I went not long after it opened and it reminded me of the ‘turn-a-house-into-a-bar’ concept that was completely revamping Rainey Street. What makes The Moontower different though, is the plot of land it sits on and how they’re developing it into a massive playground for adults.
The owners were born and raised in Austin, and created a venue that they would want to hang out at themselves. They’re constantly improving the place, and there’s a good chance that by the time you’re reading this they’ve added more, but here’s a short list of some of the ‘things to do’ there:
- Live Music (always free). They’ve hosted Dale Watson, The Whiskey Sisters and a bunch of other great Austin artists.
- ‘Outdoor beer games.’ I define these as games you can play whilst holding your beer. They have a soft grassy area with corn-hole (that beanbag game) and well-maintained ‘washer pits.’ I can beat you at both.
- They hang a massive TV off the backside of the bar every night, and last time I was there they’d hooked up the original Super Mario Brothers.
- Some of the nicest sand volleyball courts in town. We put a team together for the blog this past season through Austin Sports and Social Club, and even though we never won a game, I still highly recommend it.
- Food trucks: They’ve rotated a few throughout the year but I’ve never been disappointed. Check their website or follow them on Facebook for the latest offerings.
- Just sitting out under the trees around a campfire. Ultimately, it’s the beauty of this place that keeps me going back. And how often do you really get to wear that scarf and beanie in Austin? Ladies, they have furnaces too if you don’t want that new jacket to smell like smoke.
They’ve already bought another plot of land to expand from five acres to ten in 2014; a Trailer-food Park has risen on the adjacent property, and there are rumors of a Hotel San Jose-style boutique hotel and restaurant/bar in the works just up the street. The Moontower is at the forefront of what will eventually be a nightlife and weekend destination for much more than just South Austin residents.
Check the blog this Sunday for more info on their Flood Relief Benefit.
Old Austin Fact: Willie Nelson’s 4th of July Picnic in 1985 was held about a mile away from The Moontower, where the Southpark Meadows shopping center now sits. Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and Willie headlined the annual event that still runs today (obviously not in the same location).
Hours: 11am -2am Monday through Saturday. Noon-2am Sunday
Location: 10212 Manchaca Road Austin, TX 78748
J. BLACK’S Breakfast Club is about the coolest thing to happen to Texas Football since Vince Young. Every home game they open at 10:00am so you can eat and drink in some cool AC before rallying with your friends near campus.
Finding parking is always the hardest part of attending a UT game or tailgating, and that’s why we love this party bus idea. Park down on West 6th where the parking is more manageable, have breakfast and a cocktail or two, then hop on the party bus!
They also have plenty of drink specials, including a $5.00 Bloody Mary Bar, $2.00 Mimosas, and specials on buckets of beer. And while they have a bunch of HD TVs, unlike a ‘sports bar,’ quality food and drink comes first, and their menu reflects that!
Pro Tip: They have a few special sections with couches and secluded areas that you can call ahead and reserve for your group. There’s no minimum on these, but they are first come first served, so show up early!
To stay up to date with the latest on this and other fun events from J. BLACK’S, follow them on Facebook: www.facebook.com/JBlacksAustin
We are giving away a $25 gift certificate to J. BLACK’S, to enter, “like” them on facebook and “share” this post!
J. BLACK’S Feel Good Lounge
710 – B W. 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78701